Monday, August 16, 2010

Another Day at the Park

Was today a food grenade day?  No.  But yesterday and the day before were.  A simple trip to the park is never simple for me.  It is for my kids though.  But for me, the trip entailed planning for food and planning for food encounters.   I think... Who will be at the park?  Are the kids or parents going to have food that my child needs to stay away from?  Is the play equipment covered with threats?

It was a perfect day at the park.  The kids were running through the water and chasing each other up and down the slides.  Until... I spot food encounter one. Child with sandwich.  The contents of this sandwich are all over his face and hands.   Is it a PBJ sandwich?   Why is that child walking around with a PBJ sandwich and touching every thing that my child will soon be touching?   Where is this child's mother?  I'll go ask her (because now I have to do things like this).  I pick up my son and walk into a group of moms chatting, and I politely as I can, I interrupt.  I say, "I know this sounds personal, but is your child eating a PBJ sandwich?  You see my child is allergic to peanuts and all nuts, and I need to know for his safety."  The mom was guarded at first, but then very nicely responded that it was pizza and that her child also has nut allergies.  She understood. What a small world!   So, the  kids enjoyed the rest of their day at the park.  This is how a park feels to a mom whose child has severe food allergies...everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment